Wednesday, October 24, 2007

er... my chinese is half bucket water...

OK... so i was chatting with my friend after he posted a blog in chinese... i told him that i understand some of it and don't the other bits of it... the actual truth is i didn't really try to read it all... because i was educated in non-chinese, my ability to read and write chinese is basically self-learnt...

english.jpg picture by raymondlee06

he and i, in terms of our medium of education should be the same... but he has been more productive in embracing the chinese language while i have deviated to try to master a language where i had to start from scratch...

our conversation turned to my english... so i have a good enough command of the language... not brilliant, but i can converse and write well... proficient...

truth be told, i got good in english after i figured out that i would not be good in other subjects, therefore i made it a point back then to excel in this language... however, i found that i was always playing second fiddle to someone else... in a way it was quite disappointing to know that what i thought i was good at, i wasn't the best in it...

then there is chinese... i am proud to call myself a chinese person... of chinese heritage... therefore i have since embraced my roots and try to familiarize myself with the language... it is far too complicated... i only know a little of the surface... true, i can converse well enough in it, but i fear being exposed as not proficient enough in it...

if i were to converse with people who have been educated from young in good chinese, then i would fall way way behind... they would probably think i am some  under-developed person with a speech impediment... my friend reminded me that if someone sort of like made some nasty remarks about me in complicated chinese, i probably would not know what was said or meant...

back to his chinese-language blog... i am envious... of his chinese writing skills... that ship has sailed... for me to completely master the language... or has it... maybe i am too lazy...

even as i write this, i feel that my english is half-assed...


No comments: